ESL is a multi-faceted program offering English language
classes and content-area assistance to limited English proficient (LEP) students
enrolled in the Columbus City Schools.
The goal of the ESL Program is for students to acquire a level
of English language proficiency that enables them to meet grade level promotion
requirements, state-mandated graduation requirements, and, ultimately, to
compete successfully in mainstream society.
The Columbus City Schools ESL program provides the following
for its staff and students:
- Tutorial assistance in content area subjects
- An environment that fosters pride in native culture, establishes positive
self-esteem, and facilitates acculturation into American society
- Bilingual personnel who act as a liaison between the home, school, and
- Assistance to ESL and regular classroom teachers in best practices for
working with students from diverse language and cultural backgrounds
- Click here to download the ESL Handbook