The Columbus City Schools Reading Support Initiative will provide support to struggling readers in first, second, and third grades. The goals of this program are two-fold: to increase student literacy and to increase business, community, and higher education partnerships with individual elementary schools.
The Reading Support Initiative is in response to our multi-varied approach to addressing the literacy needs of all students, so that they are reading at the third grade standard before they complete third grade. Program components include:
- Training Volunteers to become Reading Buddies.
- Reading Buddies will work with students for one hour, once a week.
- Reading Buddies will learn to use a three-part lesson:
- Familiar reading & discussion
- Poetry reading for fluency & comprehension
- Sharing a take-home book
Our goal is to have Reading Buddies in all 73 elementary schools.
If you want to become a Reading Buddy, please contact Krista Bower at 365-8869, or via email at email@example.com.
Reading Buddy Documents and Forms