Columbus City Schools Gifted & Talented Department held its Winter Middle School Debate Tournament on Friday, December 8, at Capital University. Fifteen teams from 8 schools sent participants to argue the topic of the federal government increasing the minimum wage. Two divisions including nearly 75 students competed in three rounds of debate, which were judged and scored by volunteers from Columbus City Schools, Capital University, the English Speaking Union, and others in the community. Additionally, about 45 new debaters from seven schools came to participate in a debate workshop in order to prepare for their first debate competition in the spring. A special thank you goes out to Dr. Stephen Koch and the team at Capital University for serving as our hosts and the other volunteers to helped make this happen.
Congratulations to the following debate finalists!
Division 1 (Grades 5-6):
- 1st - Devonshire – Elyjah Johnson, Tomarieous Smith, Edwin Rivas, and Zainab Waseem
- 2nd - Ridgeview – Maya Sims, Janelle Harris, Kenda Al-Shamrookh, and Maryah Stith
- 3rd - Woodward Park O – Haneen Al Bayati, Maya Gonzales, Patience Ogundare, and Alexis Stokes (Dominion MS)
Division 2 (Grades 6-8):
- 1st - Dominion X- Henry Smith, Sophia Hand, Patrick Knostman, and Maddie Hainen
- 2nd – Columbus City Preparatory School for Girls X- Diana Pierce, Myanah Beck, Frankie Madosky, and Taylor Joyce
- 3rd – Columbus Gifted Academy X and Dominion O - Luka Bastin-Howes, Nyrobi Whitfield, Gabrielle Michaille, Lilyann Johnston, Anna Wilming, Quinn Sebetich, Addison Jensen, and Jaziel Cortez
Devonshire - Division 1 Dominion X - Division 2