On August 18, the CDC Community Transmission Level for COVID-19 in Franklin County was lowered from High to Medium and Columbus Public Health lifted their indoor mask advisory. Under a Medium transmission level, the CDC recommends that residents stay up to date on COVID-19 vaccines and boosters, get tested if they have symptoms and wear a mask if they test positive, have symptoms or are exposed to someone with COVID-19.
Columbus City Schools will continue to follow its current health protocols regarding COVID-19 safety.
- Masks remain optional in CCS. They are strongly encouraged for anyone at high risk for getting very sick.
- The District’s leaders and Health Services’ team encourages everyone to get vaccinated and boosted for COVID-19 to increase protection against severe illness.
- Students who have symptoms of COVID-19 at school may be sent home by school staff with guidance on getting tested and when to return. Rapid, at-home COVID tests are generally available at your student’s school.
- If a student tests positive for COVID-19 parents should report this information to their student’s school so that they can be given guidance on when the student may safely return to the school building.
- Staff and students who test positive for COVID-19 will be required to isolate and wear a mask for a period of time determined by current guidance from Columbus Public Health.
- Parents will be notified if there is a cluster of cases in their student’s classroom.
Here are some important reminders:
- Please stay home and get tested if you are sick.
- WASH YOUR HANDS OFTEN with soap and water (greater than 20 seconds). Use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren’t available, and clean high-touch surfaces often.
- Avoid touching your face with unwashed hands and cover your coughs and sneezes.
- If wearing a mask, make sure it covers your nose and mouth to help protect yourself and others, especially indoors at gatherings.
Columbus City Schools will continue to partner with Columbus Public Health and Nationwide Children’s Hospital to monitor rates of COVID-19 in our community and schools as we work together to keep students, staff, and families safe for the start of the school year.
Columbus Public Health offers all COVID-19 vaccines and boosters on a walk-in basis Monday through Friday at Columbus Public Health. For hours and to learn more, click here.