Weather Related School Closings
When winter weather forces classes to be cancelled, you need to know right away.
Columbus City Schools is ready for the return of winter and those days when inclement weather can have a major impact on your child’s school day… and on your busy day. Make sure to plan ahead.
STAY CONNECTED: news about delays or cancellations of classes, extra-curricular activities, field trips, and/or student-athletic events are shared in several ways.
- Make sure the contact information on file at your child’s school is accurate. If you need to update this information, contact the main office in your child’s school or log on to the Parent Portal at ccsoh.us.
- Download the new Columbus City Schools Mobile App. This is the first place we’ll share news about “snow days” and other cancellations with an instant message to your phone or tablet. To download the free app, search “Columbus City Schools” in the app store on your mobile device.
- Monitor the news on local television and radio stations.
- Follow Columbus City Schools on Facebook and Twitter (@ColsCitySchools) or check our website.
All families and staff will be alerted through an automated call from the District’s phone system.
HAVE A BACKUP PLAN: When inclement weather impacts the morning commute, our leadership plans to determine whether to cancel classes no later than 6:00 a.m. If rough weather is forecasted for the afternoon, classes may dismiss as early as noon. Have an alternative plan for your child’s day already set.
- Supervision: is your child responsible enough to be home alone or do they need someone to stay with?
- Healthy Food: is there nutritious food available for your child to eat for breakfast and lunch?
- Safe Location: if classes are dismissed early, does your child go home or another location? If your child is under the age of 8, will there be someone to meet them at the bus stop?
- Engaging Activities: what safe activities do you have for your child to do if they are at home for an unexpected amount of time?
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions and tips on an Alternative Plan, call Customer Relations at 614.365.8888 or visit www.ccsoh.us and search “Weather.”