CCS Reading Buddies
The Columbus City Schools Reading Support Initiative will provide support to struggling readers in first, second, and third grades. The goals of this program are two-fold: to increase student literacy and to increase business, community, and higher education partnerships with individual elementary schools.
The Reading Support Initiative is in response to our multi-varied approach to addressing the literacy needs of all students, so that they are reading at the third grade standard before they complete third grade. Program components include:
- Training Volunteers to become Reading Buddies.
- Reading Buddies will work with students for one hour, once a week.
- Reading Buddies will learn to use a two-part lesson:
- Familiar Rereading for fluency and comprehension
- Interactive Read Aloud and discussion
Our goal is to have Reading Buddies in all 73 elementary schools.
Reading Buddy Documents and Forms
Reading Buddies Flyer
Feel free to print and post this flyer in your place of business.