Help with Student Work Permits

  • During the COVID-19 crisis, the Columbus City Schools Central Enrollment Center is unable to process student work permits. However, students can still obtain permission to work by completing the forms linked below. According to the Ohio Department of Commerce, if a minor has all necessary paperwork completed and is unable to get the permit processed due to school closure, the completed paperwork may itself stand in the place of the physically printed permit. Employers should keep the paperwork on file, just like they would the permit. The formal permit should be processed as soon as the school is reopened.

    To obtain a minor work permit, students should use the "Work Permit Pre-Application Form" to gather the necessary information and approvals from their potential employer and from their parents or legal guardian. In addition, the Physician's Certificate can be printed out for those minors that are required to take a physical for employment purposes.

    The forms are in PDF format.
    Work Permit Pre-Application Form
    Physician's Certificate

    If you have questions about the process necessary to obtain a work permit during the COVID-19 Crisis, please call the Ohio Division of Industrial Compliance's Bureau of Wage and Hour Administration at 614-644-2239 or email

    Click here to learn more about our normal work permit process through the Columbus City Schools Central Enrollment Center.

    Help with Physical from Nationwide Children's Hospital

    During this crisis, our partners at Nationwide Children’s Hospital will have their mobile health unit at South High School on Tuesdays, East High School on Wednesdays, and West High School on Thursdays. The mobile units will be open from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. The mobile units are open to all families. Same day appointments available. Just call 614-355-2590 to schedule or learn more at