Gifted and Talented
- Gifted & Talented Overview
- Downloads and Links
- Gifted Staff
- Gifted Identification & Timelines
- Gifted Services
- Enrichment Opportunities
- Twice Exceptional Students
- Gifted & Talented Resources
- Classroom Teacher Gifted Professional Development
Early Entrance to K/1 Applications
The Gifted & Talented Division is now accepting applications for Early Entrance to Kindergarten and 1st Grade for students residing in Columbus City Schools attendance area who do not meet the birthday cutoffs for regular enrollment. The application can be found here. Completed applications are due to the Gifted & Talented Division office by May 15 with evaluations occuring in early June.
Important things to note:
- Parents or guardians may refer students for evaluation for early entrance to Kindergarten if the child's birthday falls between October 1, 2015 and December 31, 2015.
- Parents or guardians may refer students for evaluation for early entrance to First Grade if the child's birthday falls between October 1, 2014 and December 31, 2014 and the child has not successfully completed an accredited Kindergarten program.
- Children with birthdays on January 1 or later must be referred by a physician, psychologist, or licensed Ohio educator.
- CCS will only evaluate students who are district residents for early entrance into to a Columbus City Schools building. Families from out of district may not apply for early entrance. Families within the district boundaries interested in early entrance to a charter or private school must have the evaluation completed by that school.
- Evaluations include intelligence and academic achievement testing, with students required to meet certain scores at each point along the way. The process may require 1, 2, or 3 visits during the week of evaluations depending on outcomes.
- Evaluations look for students who are beyond basic Kindergarten readiness. Using a state-approved, research-based proces, students typically score in the top 10% of students their age and in the top 25% of students 2 years older.
Please read the application and cover letter carefully for more information. Our office is happy to answer any questions along the way.
Due to the district building closures, the best way to submit the application is to scan and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will still accept fax and US mail, but we will not be able to verify receipt in a timely manner, as we only are able to access items sent one a week or so.