Parent & Family Involvement Statement
Dominion Middle School recognizes and values parents and families as children's first teachers and decision-makers in education. The Columbus City Schools and staff at Dominion Middle School believes that student learning is more likely to occur when there is an effective partnership between the school and the student's parents and family. Such a partnership between the home and school and greater involvement of parents in the education of their children generally result in higher academic achievement, improved student behavior and reduced absenteeism.
In order to cultivate partnerships with families and the community, we will:
1. Provide a welcoming, supportive and student centered environment that includes activities that relate to various cultures, languages, practices and customs to bridge economic and cultural barriers.
2. Provide effective communication to families to support proper student health & safety, communicate information about school policies, procedures, programming and activities, promote regular and open communication, involve parents in the grade monitoring process and provide timely and meaningful information regarding academic standards and state and local assessments.
3. Provide volunteer opportunities to support students' school activities.
4. Provide support for learning at home using Google Classroom, Infinite Campus, Achieve 3000, ALEKS and Edumentum.
5. Involve families in decision making and advocacy in the process of school review and continuous improvement planning.
6. Collaborate with the community to build constructive partnerships, connect families with community-based programs and resources, coordinate family involvement programs and activities with District initiatives to support families.
The very active Dominion PTSO meets on the third Tuesday of each month and is a significant supporter of programming at Dominion.
Michelle Christopher is the Title I Family Ambassador at Dominion. Her role exists to support families in the middle school transition, advocacy and parent engagement.