Indianola Informal Parent Involvement Policy
Indianola Informal K-8
Parent Involvement Policy
Indianola Mission Statement:
We, the members of the Indianola Informal School community, believe that all children can achieve academic success. We believe that children enter school as active learners eager to continue the learning process by working with staff, other children, parents, and volunteers. To this end, we will provide opportunities where children learn by doing and by interacting with their environment. We will provide strong, positive teacher guidance so that children can take responsibility for their own learning. We will provide opportunities for children to express their knowledge and talents through visual art, music, and dance. We will provide an environment which encourages mutual respect and cultural understanding. We believe that children learn best from people who are lifelong learners. Therefore, we will continue providing opportunities for children and adults to learn simultaneously.
Indianola Informal K-8 School will involve parents in regular, two-way meaningful communication addressing student achievements and ensuring:
- That parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning.
- That parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education.
- That parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as needed and appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child.
In compliance with the Community Relations Policy of the Columbus City Schools Board of Education, Indianola Informal K-8 School agrees to implement requirements to:
- Involve parents in the joint planning and development of the district’s Title 1 plan through representation on the school’s Building Leadership Team and participation at their meetings.
- Involve parents in the development, implementation, and review of Parent-School Compacts. The compact will be signed during the first two weeks of school and reviewed, when necessary, on an individual basis. The compact will also be posted on the school’s website.
- Involve parents in the planning and development of effective parent involvement activities through representation at the school’s Building Leadership Team.
- Build the school’s and parents’ capacity for parent involvement by:
- Providing parents with information on state standards, assessments, requirements of Title 1, monitoring their child’s progress, and working with educators. Information will be provided during an annual fall meeting, at parent/teacher conferences, in the school’s newsletter, and on the school’s website.
- Providing materials, resources and training to help parents work with their children to improve academic achievement. Resources will be provided in the school/classroom newsletters and other teacher communications and parent informational days/nights planned each year based on the school needs assessment.
- Communicating regularly with parents in clear and understandable terms. This will include opportunities for parents to participate in decision making roles, volunteer opportunities, Title 1 meetings, newsletters, conferences, and surveys. Parent teacher meetings can be scheduled at any time as requested by parents and the availability of the staff.
- Coordinate parent involvement activities with other initiatives.
- Honoring that our parents come from all over the city and gathering feedback to see how/where best to hold events and opportunities to allow all parents, regardless of what part of the city in which they live, to participate.
This policy was adopted by the Building Leadership Team of Indianola Informal K-8 School and reviewed by teachers, our Parent Ambassador, and the PTO before its final adoption on ________________________. The school will make this policy available to all parents through the school’s website, annual communication, and the school newsletter.