Family and Community Support Directory
Provided by Student Support Team 11
01/05/22Orange Hearts for Makenzi Non-Profit, Seneca Turner. The organization will be rewarding 10 youth Entrepreneurs with $1,000 to use for their business. The mission of Orange Hearts for Makenzie is to provide young, disadvantaged entrepreneurs of color with services and funds to get their business moving in the right direction.Below is the eligibility criteria:
Youth Entrepreneur Scholarship, can be found here: https://www.
- Age 16-22
- Citizen of the US
- Demonstrates a commitment to serving diverse populations
Need Help with Your Rent?
Do you need help with rent and not sure where to turn? Rentful614.com can help.
Rentful614.com is a simple, easy-to-navigate website that provides renters and landlords key resources to stay in their homes. Our partners at the City of Columbus, Franklin County Board of Commissioners, the United Way of Central Ohio, the Siemer Institute, and the Affordable Housing Alliance of Central Ohio launched this effort to help families stay in their homes by reducing evictions. Studies have shown that on average, 1-in-3 Ohio renters have little or no confidence in their ability to pay next month’s rent. To date during the pandemic, emergency rent assistance has helped more than 15,000 families receive rental assistance.
Rentful614.com is the key to connecting you with resources to prevent eviction. Rentful614.com offers you with valuable resources on where to go to apply for rental assistance, get legal assistance, and be connected to helpful information. For more information visit www.rentful614.com
8th Grade Internship Hours
Purpose of an internship:
It is important to note that the internship is primarily an educational experience rather than a work experience. The internship serves several purposes including:
- Providing career preparation and awareness
- Giving students an opportunity to apply and extend knowledge they have acquired in the classroom to a practical experience
- Giving students a glimpse of careers to which they may aspire and what the educational requirements are for those careers
Requirements and Curriculum
Students must complete 120 internship hours, which is equivalent to one high school credit, by the time they graduate from high school. A suggested plan is below:
During their 8th grade academic school year, students may earn up to 30 internship
hours by participating in activities coordinated and/or documented by a teacher and/or
the school counselor. Any hours earned the summer after 8th grade, will towards their
9th grade hours and not the 30 hours.
- Career related activities- student participates in classroom activities and field trips that provide career preparation and awareness
- Job Shadowing- visits a job and observes a worker to learn about the career, the qualifications for applying for a job in that career area, and to determine if the career is of interest to them
- Mentoring- Works individually with an employee of a business and participates in a more intensive job exploration
- Through community service, students may volunteer their time to work in hospitals, churches, schools, community organizations, social agencies, etc. Students may also participate in a classroom activity that will provide assistance to community organizations.
PETITION FOR APPROVAL OF 2021-2022
8th GRADE INTERNSHIP HOURS
I would like to submit the following hours for internship approval. If approved, these hours will count toward the 120 hours needed to complete the internship requirement for graduation. 8th grade students can earn up to 15 hours for Community Service and up to 15 hours for Career & College Exploration.
Student’s Name Student Number
Name of High School
In order to receive internship hours, you must complete the information below regarding your internship or community service experience.
Submit this form to your 8th grade counselor at your school.
Circle One: Community Service (CS) Career & College Exploration (CCE)
Name of Company/Organization Print Mentor’s Name
Address, City & State Phone
Beginning Date of Internship Ending Date of Internship
Total Number of Hours Served ___________
Student’s Signature Mentor’s Signature
The S8th grade counselor will complete this section:
Date____________ Approved ___________ Disapproved ___________
Total hours awarded 8th Grade Counselor’s Signature
The Columbus City School District does not discriminate based upon sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, ancestry, familial status or military status with regard to admission, access, treatment or employment. This policy is applicable in all district programs and activities.
12/10/21https://www.freshtrak.com/ Helping Families access food resources by zip code.