- Salem Elementary School
CPH Releases Updated Quarantine Guidelines for Schools
October 8, 2021 -- The Ohio Department of Health (ODH) and Columbus Public Health (CPH) have released new guidance for K-12 schools in an effort to reduce the transmission of COVID-19:
- Students who develop symptoms of COVID-19 at school or home will be required to show a negative COVID test or isolate for a 10-day period before returning to school and extracurricular activities. Symptomatic students must remain in isolation until test results are confirmed.
- Other students in the household attending school within CCS will also be required to quarantine until the symptomatic student has been medically cleared (tested negative) or completed the required isolation, per new ODH and CPH guidance.
School-based and a limited number of at-home rapid tests may be available for students who develop symptoms while at school. Families can also opt for testing completed by a medical provider.
- Temperature greater than 100 degrees;
- Loss of taste or smell;
- New or worsening:
- Sore throat;
- Cough or difficulty breathing;
- Runny or stuffy nose;
- Diarrhea, nausea, or vomiting;
- Headache, especially with a fever;
- Body aches; or
A negative COVID-19 test can allow students and their sibling(s) to return to school if they have improving symptoms and are fever free for 24 hours. Only the student in the home with symptoms needs to complete a test.
This updated guidance will help us protect the health of students and staff and slow the spread of COVID-19 in the community.
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Quarantine Guidelines
How will I be notified if my child is symptomatic and will require a COVID-19 test or isolation?
Families of any student showing symptoms of illness at school will be contacted by the school’s nurse or contact tracing team. Schools will have a limited number of at-home rapid tests, and school nurses may also offer in-person testing. Schools will contact families and notify them of testing options.
If I have multiple students in CCS, how will their school(s) be notified of their quarantine status?
Once a student in your household has been identified as symptomatic and required to test or isolate, the District’s contact tracing team will notify schools of any additional students in your home that must quarantine.
Will all students in my household be required to isolate/quarantine for a 10-day period?
Yes. All siblings within the household will be required to quarantine until a negative COVID test result is received for the symptomatic student or the 10-day quarantine period is complete.
If my student tests negative for COVID-19, are they able to return to school and extracurricular activities?
Yes. A negative COVID-19 test can allow students and their sibling(s) to return to school if they have improving symptoms and are fever free for 24 hours.