WATCH: Northland's DeAngalo Mitchell Succeeds at Fort Hayes Career Center
December 3, 2020 -- In November, Columbus City Schools’ career tech students were welcomed back into the classroom for blended learning. Two days a week, CTE students were able to receive hands-on learning in the classroom while continuing online learning the remaining three days of the week.
Being able to receive in-person instruction is important to Northland High School junior DeAngalo Mitchell.
“I’m just happy to be back at the Fort Hayes Career Center, it makes more clear sense, and I understand,” said DeAngalo. “I’ve improved, so I am glad about that.”
DeAngalo is deaf and wears a cochlear implant. A small, complex electronic device that can help provide a sense of sound to a person who is profoundly deaf or severely hard-of-hearing.
“The first day of Fort Hayes Career Center online Zoom, it was hard to understand,” DeAngalo.
With an interpreter by his side to help translate conversations, DeAngalo is learning how to build a brick wall. Being back in the classroom is beneficial for DeAngalo, especially because he hopes to have a career in construction.
“I want to learn, so I can work in the future with my dad.”
Working with his dad in construction work has always been a dream of his.
“My dad says, ‘Good job. My man. I hope you work with me in the future.’ I say, ‘Yes sir.’ He’s so proud of me.”
“This young man here, one of the things I told him from the beginning, 60 percent of all communication is done non-verbally. We just have to figure out how we can fill the other 40 percent in,” said instructor, Adam Viney.
DeAngalo says he has never let his disability stop him from achieving his goals.