We are a Columbus City School. Admission is through a lottery. Elementary and Middle School lottery applications will be accepted via the Parent Portal. Visit the Columbus City Schools’ website for more information on School Choice. For the safety and security of our students and staff, prospective family visits will be limited to the dates and times posted on the Indianola calendar.
Ours is an informal program. Teachers plan integrated units using Columbus City Schools’ curriculum and children’s interests to build authentic learning experiences. Together with students, they often plan “webs” that focus on a theme or central question to guide their learning. Visual arts, music and dance play a central role in our curriculum. Teachers work closely with the arts team to create and plan for thematic units, including sharing student work and performances.
Other features include:
- Two Gifted and Talented (G&T) Specialists, one serving K-5 students and the other serving middle school students.
- Three high-incidence resource rooms where students identified as needing more intensive instruction are served.
- Two full-time tutors, one serving K-5 students and the other serving middle school students grades 6-8.
- Full-time arts staff in visual arts, dance and music.
- Two Multiple Disabilities (MD) units are located in our building.
Enrichment Activities we offer include:
- Instrumental Music (grades 4-8), Upper Elementary School Choir (grades 4-5), and Middle School Choir (grades 6-8)
- Field Trips and 8th Grade Class Trip
- Dance, Movement and Choreography
- Middle School Sports, including Soccer, Basketball, Track and Girls Volleyball
- Middle School Drama Club
- Gifted and Talented Opportunities: Spelling and Geography Bees, Battle of the Books, Math Works for Kids, Math Counts, Middle School Debate, Mock Trial, and more
- Techie Club