Buildings & Grounds FAQs

  • Q.  How do I report building emergencies?

    A. Contact B&G Customer Service during business hours (7:00 am-4:00 pm).

    • After business hours, refer to the Building & Grounds Emergency Contact List located on the Intranet or on the LeaderBoard

    Q.  How do I schedule after school hours heating and cooling for extracurricular activities?

    A. If its school related, enter a request in Famis.

    • For a Building Use Application, the request will be entered through the Facilitron Building Use Process.

     Q.  How do I make requests for work in my building?

    • A.  Log into FAMIS and create a work order or call B&G Customer Service at 365-5268.

     Q.  How do I get access to the Famis work order system?

    • A.  Call B&G Customer Service at 365-5268.

             More information on how to create a service request in Famis HERE.

     Q.  How do I get status updates on my work orders?

    • A.  Log into the FAMIS work order system on the B&G Intranet site and go to the “My Requests” tab.

     Q. What is the District’s bedbug protocol?

    • A. The District’s bedbug protocol are located HERE

     Q. What is the process to request keys for my building?

    • A. Enter a request into the Famis work order system on the B&G Intranet site on the “My Requests” tab.