Columbus Downtown High School
Columbus Downtown High School offers full-day career-technical courses in a number of business, information technology, culinary, cosmetology, education, engineering & manufacturing and public safety programs, all to prepare students for jobs in the community and the world.
- Cosmetologists are prepared to become licensed to work in a salon. Students will develop technical skills in all areas of cosmetology, hair cutting, color, permanent waves, relaxers, and hair designing. Students will practice their skills on actual customers in a modern salon setting. Students who successfully complete program will be able to sit for the Ohio State Board of Cosmetology Licensing exam.
- Manicurists: A Senior-Only, one-year program is being offered for the 2019–2020 school year. This program is designed to prepare students to take the State Board Licensing Exam required to become a licensed nail technician.
- Students develop skills and knowledge pertaining to hospitality, restaurant, and institutional food preparation.
- Students learn through the ProStart® curriculum developed by the National Restaurant Association. ProStart® is the restaurant and food service industry’s leading career-building program for high school students interested in culinary arts and food service management.
- Industry certification opportunity.
- College credit available.
- Columbus Teaching Academy is a one year program designed specifically for high school seniors considering a career in education. Classes are held on The Ohio State University main campus. Students complete two internships in local elementary, middle, or high school classrooms. College credit available.
- Early Childhood Education is for students who have a desire to work with young children and learn the fundamentals of childhood development, instructional strategies, how to create a positive instructional environment, and how children learn and lesson development. Students learn to manage, guide, and direct developmentally appropriate learning activities. College credit available.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Learn to use cutting, drilling, and grinding tools. Learn operation of manual and CNC (computer numerical control) industrial milling machine, and CNC industrial lathes. Use calculations and measurement to mill products to print dimensions. College credit available.
- IT-Interactive Media will enable you to master the skills needed to become proficient in creating, designing, and producing interactive multimedia products and services. Interactive Media focuses on the development of digitally generated and computer enhanced media. Earn an Adobe Certified Associate (ACA) in Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash certification.
- IT-Programming and Software Development will train you in the areas of software programming and analysis by learning to design, develop, test, document, implement, and maintain computer systems and software. Earn a Sun Certified Java Associate certification.
- IT-Support and Services will prepare you for careers in the exciting field of IT. Learn to build a computer from scratch, set up wireless networks, and install and configure the latest operating systems. Earn a CompTIA A+ Industry Certification.
- IT-Cyber Security/CCP is a one-year program specifically for high school seniors considering a career in cyber security. This program familiarizes students with the computer language and coding necessary to create secure networks and workflows. Students are introduced to the standards of logical thinking and critical analysis. Classes are held on the main camput of Franklin University. College credit is available.
- Perfect candidates are students dedicated to serving our community.
- Students will be exposed to police, fire, emergency medical services, corrections, security, and homeland security.
- Students will network with professionals in the industry and learn the importance of teamwork through classroom learning, lab activities, real-world assignments, and community service projects.
- Work with Columbus Fire and Police Department mentors.
- Physical fitness
- Learn how to perform first aid and CPR.
- Earn credentials
- College credit available.