Ohio Seal of Biliteracy
What is the Ohio Seal of Biliteracy?
The Seal of Biliteracy is an award given by a school, district or state to recognize graduating seniors who can demonstrate high levels of proficiency in English and at least one other language. The award will appear on the student’s transcript.
Who can earn the Ohio Seal of Biliteracy?
Beginning with the graduating class of 2019, any student who is within 15 month of graduation (Typically March of their Junior year) may apply for the Seal of Biliteracy and/or test for the additional foriegn language requirement. The applicant must also meet the English Language Requirement. Both requirements are listed below.
When can I earn the Ohio Seal of Biliteracy?
Students can apply and test for their additonal foreign langauge requirement as early as March of their Junior year.
What are the requirements to earn the Ohio Seal of Biliteracy?
English proficiency Requirements:
- Earned a proficient level or higher on Ohio’s required state tests for high school English Language Arts I & II OR
- Earned a remediation-free score on the English and reading sections of the ACT or SAT OR
- Earned a proficient level or higher on an Ohio Department of Education approved alternative assessment (TerraNova or Iowa Test) (in high school) OR
- Earned a score of proficient or higher on the 9-12 Ohio English Language Proficiency Assessment and meet Ohio’s graduation requirements.
Additional foreign language proficiency requirement through:
- Pass an Advanced Placement (AP) foreign language and culture examination with a score of 4 or higher (scores can be received post graduation) OR
- Pass an International Baccalaureate (IB) foreign language examination with a score of 6 or higher on the Standard Level exam or a score of 5 or higher on the Higher Level exam (scores can be received post graduation) OR
- Attain a score of Intermediate High or higher in comprehension, speaking, reading and writing the foreign language based on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Language Proficiency Guidelines, using assessments approved by the Ohio Department of Education. OR
- Qualify for proficiency-based credits through Ohio’s credit flexibility program and attain a score of Intermediate High or higher in comprehension, speaking, reading and writing based on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages Proficiency Guidelines using assessments approved by the Ohio Department of Education OR
- Attain a score equivalent to Intermediate High or higher on the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages Proficiency Guidelines in interpersonal signing, presentational signing and demonstrating understanding of American Sign Language on an American Sign Language assessment approved by the Ohio Department of Education. OR
- Attain a score equivalent to Intermediate High or higher on the American Council on the Teacher of Foreign Languages Proficiency Guidelines in interpretive reading and presentational writing on a classical language assessment approved by the Ohio Department of Education.
Additional foreign language testing
Columbus City Schools currently uses the STAMP Assessment from AVANT Assessment for the following languages: Arabic, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, Polish, Russian and Spanish. The World Speak Assessment, also from AVANT Assessment is available for Armenian, Haitian-Creole, Ilocano, Samoan, Somali Maay Maay, Somali Maxaa, Tamil, Vietnamese and Yup'ik. Additional language tests can be requested through the testing sign-up link with at least 4 weeks notice prior to desired testing date.
For more information on the award and the background, please visit ODE's website.
Information Night Presentation
Seal of Biliteracy Application
Student Process - Seal of Biliteracy
Testing Dates (Not for AP/IB applicants) for 2019-2020 coming soon!
All tests will be held at Columbus Spanish Immersion Academy. 3940 Karl Road, Columbus, Ohio 43224.