Teachers will develop student decoding/word level reading and language comprehension while providing opportunities for students to read, write, understand, interpret and discuss multiple grade-level complex texts across content areas.
CCS Adopted Literacy Resources
Achieve 3000 (Log-in through Clever)
- Middle School Social Studies Achieve 3000 Alignment
- High School Social Studies Achieve 3000 Alignment
CommonLit (Log-in through Clever to access the Dashboard)
DBQ Online (Log-in through Clever - identified schools only - contact Social Studies Office)
- Teach students to decode words, analyze word parts, and to write and recognize words.
- Teach students academic language skills, including the use of inferential and academic language and vocabulary.
- Provide systematic and explicit vocabulary instruction.
Vocabulary Strategies Digital Vocabulary Tools
Reading Complex Text
- Provide scaffolding that does not pre-empt or replace text.
- Provide opportunities for extended discussion of text meaning and interpretation.
Note-Taking Strategies Close Reading Strategies Text Discussion Strategies
- Provide Integrated (across content areas) writing instruction with a focus on elaboration and evidence.
Evidence-Based Argumentation Strategies Writing Resources