Social Studies Vocabulary
The resources on this page are designed to support vocabulary instruction in Social Studies 3-8. The terms are drawn from the Content Statements, Content Elaborations, and Expectations for Learning in Ohio's Learning Standards for Social Studies. Memorization of precise definitions is not necessary in most cases, but students need to have a working understanding of the terms and be able to apply them to conceptual understandings.
Each grade level is a separate sheet in the document. Click on the tabs in the bottom left corner for each grade. The default sort is by Content Statement number. Click on the Data tab to resort. Printing tip: set to landscape orientation; set to include all columns on a single page (rows will take two pages).
Six-Step Process (Marzano)
- Provide a description, explanation, or example of the new term.
- Ask students to restate the description, explanation, or example in their own words.
- Ask students to construct a picture, pictograph, or symbolic representation of the term.
- Engage students periodically in activities that help them add to their knowledge of the terms in their vocabulary notebooks.
- Periodically ask students to discuss the terms with one another.
- Involve students periodically in games that enable them to play with terms.