National Board Certification
The National Board Certification Teacher program allows teachers to hone their practice, showcase their talent in the classroom, and demonstrate their dedication to their students and their profession. Research shows that National Board Certified Teachers have a greater impact on student learning and achievement than non NBCT teachers. Candidates say the NBCT process is the best professional development in which they have participated.
Requirements To Apply
● Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (including Career Technical teachers).
● Have completed three years of successful teaching in one or more early childhood, elementary, middle, or secondary school.
● Hold a valid state teaching license (or meet the licensure requirements established by your state for a school counselor if applying for the ECYA/School Counseling certificate) for each of the three years of employment you verify.
Deadline to register: February 18, 2022
NBCT consists of four components:
Component 1 (40%): Content Knowledge
Computer-based assessment measuring developmentally appropriate content knowledge and pedagogical practices in the chosen certificate area
• Three constructed response items – 30 minutes to complete each
• 45 selected response items – the time allotted varies by certificate area, but will be
no fewer than 60 minutes.
The testing window is usually open from early April - mid June.
Component 2 (15%): Differentiation in Instruction
Highlights ability to evaluate learning strengths and needs for individual students; plan and implement appropriate instruction; and analyze and modify strategies and materials based on ongoing assessment.
Classroom-based portfolio entry:
• Samples of student work that demonstrate the students’ growth over time
• An accompanying written commentary that analyzes the candidate’s instructional
Component 3 (30%): Teaching Practice and Learning
Highlights how candidates engage students and impact their learning as well as addressing issues of equity
Classroom-based portfolio entry:
• Video recordings of interactions between candidates and their students.
• Two written commentaries, in which the candidate describes, analyzes and reflects on their teaching and interactions
Component 4 (15%): Effective and Reflective Practitioner
Highlights understanding of assessments and assessment practices to plan for/positively impact student learning
Portfolio entry information gathered from many sources:
• Demonstrating practices with a class of students
• Evidence of collaboration with families, community, and colleagues
• Candidate’s contributions to learning communities to advance student growth.
What does it cost?
• First year candidates pay the $75 registration fee
• Second & third year candidates pay the $75 registration fee - you will be reimbursed
• Candidates have three consecutive years to take all four components and five years to successfully pass all four components
Component Fee $475 each
• Each component fee will be paid by CCS as long as the participant attends ALL of their Cohort Meetings.
• CCS will fund no more than two components per academic year
• CCS will fund five components per candidate
Cohort Meetings (Support Sessions):
Support sessions will run from 4:00 – 6:00 p.m.
Support sessions will be held online (subject to change)
If the candidate has only one component remaining (including retakes), they must attend at least three out of the six support sessions.
If the candidate has two to four components remaining (including retakes), they must attend at least four out of the six support sessions
Support sessions will be on the following dates:
November 16, 2021
January 11, 2022
February 15, 2022
March 15, 2022
April 12, 2022
May 17, 2022
CCS NBTC Stipend
CCS National Board Certified Teachers are eligible to receive a $1,500 stipend yearly from the Columbus Board of Education for presentations as established in the Columbus Education Association Master Agreement (908.01 and 908.02). In order to receive the stipend, NBCTs must complete the presentation guidelines, requirements, and meet presentation deadlines each year in which they apply to receive the stipend.
Completion of NBCT = 18 CEUs!
For More Information
Considering Pursuing NBCT?
Interested in pursuing your NBCT? Please contact Karmen McCaslin at email@example.com.