How to Enroll Your Student
To get started enrolling your child in Columbus City Schools, complete your online SpeedyPass registration.
PLEASE NOTE: You will be required to upload the following Necessary Documents to your Online Registration (SpeedyPass). If you do not upload the required documents, you will not be able to submit your Online Registration and schedule an enrollment appointment.
Parent Photo Identification:
- Please provide your State issued Photo ID, Driver’s License, or Passport.
Verification of Student Identification (must present any one of the following items):
- Student’s Birth Certificate
- If you need to obtain a birth certificate for a child born in Ohio, please visit the Ohio Department of Health at https://odh.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/odh/know-our-programs/vital-statistics/how-to-order-certificates.
- Please note that any student who may be interested in participating in interscholastic athletics must have proof of age certified via a birth certificate. No other proof of age is acceptable to the Ohio High School Athletic Association
- A Passport showing the date and place of birth of the child
- Certified certificate of baptism or other religious record showing the date and place of birth of the child
- Certified transcript of hospital record showing the date and place of birth of the child; OR a birth affidavit
Proof of Custody/Guardianship (if other than a biological/residential parent):
- Custody Document – If you are not the biological parent of the student that you are attempting to enroll, please provide a certified copy of a judge’s order or decree or modification of such order allocating parental rights and responsibilities and designating a residential parent and legal custodian of the child (if applicable); For additional information click here:
Address Verification (must present any one of the following items):
- A recent (within 30-60 days of the statement date) utility bill (gas, electric, or water) in the parent/guardian’s name. (Phone or cable bills are not acceptable)
- A current lease agreement with parent/guardian’s name. The name and phone number of the landlord must be provided to verify the lease. The signature page for a lease is also required.
- Two most recent pay stubs showing your name and address or a letter from your employer on company letterhead with your name and address listed. IRS W-2 Forms are also acceptable.
- Change of custody forms on Franklin County Children Services (FCCS) letterhead or court documents indicating a change of custodial parent (and address). These must be filed with the Division of the Registrar before the child being enrolled in your school. If the child is already enrolled and will continue the current assignment, the new custodial parent will need to go to the Division of the Registrar Office to file paperwork
- Department of Human Services or Social Security statement, on letterhead, indicating the physical address used by the parent for receipt of checks.
- Employer Statement from the Personnel Office, on letterhead, indicating the address used by the parent for employment purposes and for submission of Internal Revenue Service (IRS) W-2 forms
- If you do not have any of the above forms of Address Verification in your name, please see the information below.
- If you are in transition (doubled up or living in a hotel or shelter due to hardship), please complete the Student Housing Questionnaire
- If you live with someone on a permanent basis but do not have any of the above items in your name, please complete the Verification of Residency. **Please note that the person with whom you are living needs to provide one of the documents listed above in combination with the Verification of Residency form for your proof of address to be valid. **
Immunization Record (Shot Record):
- To ensure that all schools provide safe and healthy learning environments, the Ohio Department of Health requires all students to be immunized upon enrollment. Contact your child’s healthcare provider to make sure vaccinations are up-to-date for school entry. If you need assistance with immunizations, please contact the school nurse or Columbus Public Health Immunization Clinic at 614-645-7945. Click here for a printable school vaccination flyer from the Ohio Department of Health.
Withdrawal Papers or Last Grade Card or transcript from prior school (if applicable). At the High School level, a transcript is needed to determine grade level for enrollment, as grade level placement is determined based on credits earned.
Individualized Education Program (IEP), Evaluation Team Report (ETR) or 504 Plan (if applicable)
Proof of Negative Tuberculosis results from a test given in the United States. Applies to students born in another country OR who has traveled out of the country for 30 or more consecutive days
Income Verification (For Pre-Kindergarten Parents Only)
Please read carefully: It is a requirement of the Columbus City Schools Early Childhood Education Program that each family submits their income information at the time of enrollment. We are a grant-funded program and are required to have income information for each family in our program.
For the purposes of determining family income, a family is determined as:
- All parents/legal guardians of the child who live in the home and all children under the age of 18 of the parent/legal guardian who lives in the home
- A stepparent living in the home, and all the children under the age of 18 who live in the home
- Unmarried parents of the child(ren) who live in the same house and all the children under the age of 18 who live with them
- A foster child and all children under the age of 18 who live in the home
The income of the family includes gross earned and unearned income. Families are required to submit the two most recent pay stubs for each working adult in the home, showing the amount earned before taxes. Families may also submit their tax return showing their income before adjustments.
If one or more family members are self-employed, a copy of the tax return or receipts for the month showing gross earnings is required.
Types of Unearned Income:
- Educational Assistance
- Alimony and/or child support
- Gifts or assistance from family
- Veteran’s benefits
- Worker’s Comp
- Pension/Retirement Income
ALL families receiving SNAP, please submit documentation of the amount you receive each month at the time of enrollment
If your family lives in CMHA/CPO housing, please submit a copy of your lease
ALL sources of income must be submitted at the time of enrollment
Early Childhood Education Screening Tool (For Pre-Kindergarten Parents Only)
If you still have additional questions, please call Central Enrollment at (614) 365-4011, or contact the FACTLine at 614-221-3228 or FACTLine@columbus.k12.oh.us
Please note that ALL required documents must be submitted when completing the SpeedyPass/Online Registration. Failure to provide all required documents will cause your appointment to be canceled. If your appointment is canceled, you will be able to edit your SpeedyPass/Online Registration and resubmit. Upon submitting your updated SpeedyPass/Online Registration, you will be able to schedule an appointment.