Math 6 Accelerated Testing
Each year, Columbus City Schools identifies 6th Grade students currently enrolled in Math 6 who may qualify for math acceleration.
To be identified, students must have met at least one of the requirements below:
- Math 5 OST score of 4 or 5
- Math 5 OST score of 3 with an A earned during Grading Period 1
- Student identified as gifted in Math or Superior Cog
- Student score of at least 495 on i-Ready BOY assessment or at least 514 on i-Ready MOY assessment (these thresholds are based on i-Ready's current year Overall Placement Tables)
In order for students to be successful in this program, they must possess the following qualities:
- Strong skills in math
- Good study skills/habits and attendance
- Independent thinking
- Not afraid to ask questions
- Good homework and test results
Once schools are notified of qualified students, we will also consider teacher recommendations.
Identified and recommended students will take a placement test in March to determine acceptance into the MS Accelerated Math Placement Program.
A score of 60% is required to pass the placement assessment.
Math 7 Prep
In addition to working on their Math 6 ALEKS, students may wish to work on some Math 7 content that may be tested. For this, we recommend Getting Ready For Math 7 by Khan Academy.
Students should work through the first four sections.
Students identified as qualifying for the Middle School Math Acceleration Test may take a practice test, if they so choose. To do so:
- Go to student.masteryconnect.com
- Enter the Test Code: 340379
- Enter the Student ID number.
Students can stop/pause at any time. The program will remember where the student left off each time.
Do not hit FINISH until you are completely finished taking the practice test.