Math 6 Accelerated Testing
May 26, 2020
Columbus City Schools is offering a virtual summer school class to prepare students to test in the fall (if we are able to return to school). This course is not required to have the opportunity to test, but it will help students prepare. Students who met the new requirements will not have to test.
For more information, and to sign up, click the link below. We would like to have a final count by Friday, June 5th, at 3:00PM.
Summer school date: June 15 - July 23
May 19, 2020
In place of testing, which we cannot do while schools are closed, students were identified for the Middle School Accelerated Math Program based on the following:
1. Student is identified as Gifted-Talented in Math/Superior Cog OR student received a 4 or 5 on the Math 5 AIR test
2. Student scored an average of 231 or higher on Goal 1 and Goal 2 on the MAP Math 6+ Middle-of-Year assessment
Students must meet both conditions.
Did you receive a letter from your school? That letter will tell each student if he or she can participate in the accelerated program. If you have not received a letter or phone call at this time, please allow a few more days as some schools have letters for many students.
Below is an example of a letter for a student who qualifies for the accelerated program. Note that both requirements have been met:
I did not meet the requirements above. Will I still be able to test?
We are hopeful that schools will be able to reopen in the fall. This would give us the opportunity to have students take the placement test early in the school year. Students are highly encouraged to keep working in their Math 6 and Math 7 ALEKS accounts. See below.
Next steps for students who met both requirements and wish to enroll in the Accelerated Math Placement Program
1. Make sure you have read the documents in the frame on the right. These documents go over expectations for students in the program.
2. Most schools will enroll students in Math 7 and Math 8 for the 2020-2021 school year. Some schools offer a one-period compacted course in place of two math courses. Students who earn a "C" or better in either Math 7 and Math 8 or the compacted course will take Algebra 1 while in Grade 8.
3. Students meeting the requirements for the program will be enrolled automatically. Please contact your child's school if you wish to decline to participate in the accelerated pathway or email email@example.com.
You can still work in your ALEKS Math 7 accountTo retrieve your new ALEKS account login, click here.Note: Your password is your ID + the capital letter K.Example: 123123KA complete sample test can be downloaded below. Students interested in taking the placement test should review these materials.
Placement TestCancelled due to school closure
DocumentsPARENT MEETINGSAttend the meeting of your choiceMeetings run from 6:00pm-7:30pmNovember 18, 2019Wedgewood MSNovember 21, 2019Arts Impact MSDecember 3, 2019South HSDecember 5, 2019Dominion MSMainly for Dominion and Woodward ParkDecember 9, 2019Sherwood MS
For more information contact:Steve Hinershiner@columbus.k12.oh.us